In 2009, a doula client asked me to encapsulate her placenta. This was something I had only heard referenced on a blog at some point as it wasn’t very mainstream at the time, so I didn’t know much about it. Thus began my journey into learning all about this fascinating ancient custom – and training how to do it! These days, I complete an OSHA-approved course on Bloodborne Pathogens as it applies to placenta encapsulation each year, so you can be assured that I am up-to-date on appropriate handling and sanitization as I follow universal precautions.
What exactly is placenta medicine?
Although placenta medicine is just starting to grow in the US, other cultures (especially in Chinese medicine) have claimed benefits from the placenta for centuries as a way to bring the postpartum mother’s body back into balance. Mothers of all species may benefit from placenta medicine – why do you think most mammals consume the placenta after birth? There are many things that we can learn from our animal neighbors, and this is just one of them!
To be clear, there are no quality studies that have been done to show benefits of consuming placenta. However, anecdotally, encapsulated placenta has been reported by some women to help with hormone balance, enhanced milk supply, and increased energy. These moms report that they felt more like “themselves” after consuming placenta capsules, with less of the “baby blues”.
** The information on this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The services I offer are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize the services on this page take full responsibility for researching and using the remedies. **
- Placenta encapsulation. I follow the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) method for encapsulation which consists of gently steaming the placenta with lemon & ginger, slicing it thinly, dehydrating it, and finally grinding it into a fine powder. I use “00” gelatin capsules; vegetarian options are available for an additional fee (based on difference in cost of materials.) Although most women consume all of their capsules in the immediate postpartum period, they can be frozen for up to one year.
- One Placenta Tincture – 4 oz. I include one placenta tincture with your package for long-term use. This tincture is created with 100 proof alcohol and steeped over a minimum of a 6-week period. Because it can theoretically be stored forever, it might even be used for menopause! For most women, however, it is used during times of emotional or physical transition after your encapsulated placenta pills are gone. Anecdotally, women report that it helps increase energy and alleviate symptoms of postpartum depression
- One Cord Keepsake. I will shape your baby’s umbilical cord into the shape of a heart and then dehydrate it. It will then be placed into a little bag for safekeeping.
- Optional: Placenta Print(s). For those who desire it, I can make a print of your baby’s placenta on high quality art paper and then laminate it. These turn out really beautiful – it’s amazing how much they resemble a tree!
Placenta Encapsulation Package………………………..$250
Placenta Encapsulation for Clients/Students………$200
**An additional fee applies to those placentas picked up more than 25 miles from Temecula.
***Please note that in cases of financial difficulties, I may be able to reduce my fees for those living in the Temecula Valley.
I have a few additional services for clients desiring them!
- Postpartum Consultation – $40.
Around 36 weeks, I will meet with you to help you prepare for the postpartum period. We will discuss things like what to expect physically and emotionally, as well as what can be helpful to have in place during this transition period. This meeting typically lasts 60 minutes.
- Additional 4 oz placenta tincture – $10.
This is for moms who would like a little extra tincture for down the road.
- Painted placenta print – $25.
For families who would like a placenta print with color (some families choose one color; others might choose a rainbow), I can add on this service.